Listen on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Sticher
In this episode, I share the behind-the-scenes of my book writing process and the important lessons I’ve learned as a new author. From working with a small publishing house to self-publishing my second book, listen to this honest conversation where I share tips for new authors and some of the strategies that have helped me become a better writer and sell more books.
What I’ve Learned After Writing Two Books
In this episode we cover:
- Overcoming limiting beliefs.
- If you are a content creator (blogger, podcaster or YouTuber) you have all the skills you need to get started writing your first book. Do not discount all the work you’ve done as a content creator.
- Set a realistic date for when you want to start writing.
- Create an outline and stick to it.
- Get feedback from beta readers who read your first draft.
- Get your audience involved in the book writing and pre-selling process.
- Hire an editor to proofread your book.
- Other helpful tips for aspiring writers.
Iceland: Nature, Nurture & Adventures is my first published book. This Iceland travel guide shares how to plan an affordable, adventurous and culturally enriching trip.
Read more about my Iceland travel guide here.
Affording Travel is my second published book. This book shares the money-saving strategies that I’ve used to travel to over 27 countries and 4 continents. This is the book I wish I had when I thought that I couldn’t afford to travel especially in college.
Read more about the Affording Travel book here.
Make Money With eBooks Self-Study: Learn how to sell your published book and make passive income as a published author with Michelle Jackson. Complete this course at your own pace.
I also recommend listening to this extended interview on The Offbeat Life Podcast to learn how Kay became a self-published author.
Listen to this episode where Terri Huggins shares tips for becoming a freelance writer.
What other tips for new authors would you add to this list?