At the age of 41, Stephanie Perry quit her job as a hospital pharmacy technician to take a one year trip to travel on her savings. During her adult gap year, she traveled to 12 countries. Now she house sits around the world and shows other travel lovers how to take a career break on a budget.
Stephanie Perry is an advocate for taking extended time off of work to travel and she believes in pursuing your personal goals while you’re in your prime, not in retirement. In this episode, Stephanie reminds us that we’re never too old to take a gap year and it’s possible to see the world on less than what it costs to stay home.
If you see house sitting in your future, Stephanie can help you get your first booking. Sign up for House Sitter School and learn how to get FREE accommodation when you travel by becoming a house sitter.
Also, learn how to save for travel without sacrificing your other financial goals with my new book Affording Travel.
Inspired to take a career break? Get access to eight incredible sessions that will help you afford, plan, and take a career break with the Wealth Noir Work Sabbatical Summit. Sessions include how to find the perfect location to live abroad, how to accelerate your savings to early retirement, and more.
Support the show by buying me a cup of coffee. I appreciate your support!
Planning An Adult Gap Year and House Sitting With Stephanie Perry
In this episode we cover:
- Why Stephanie decided to take a year off to travel the world.
- How she planned her grownup gap year.
- How she saved $14,000 in 15 months for her adult gap year.
- Tips for keeping track of your daily travel budget.
- How to find short-term rentals and lodging options for long-term travel.
- Numbeo is the largest database for cost of living, housing indicators, health care, traffic, crime and pollution worldwide.
- Trusted Housesitters will help you search for homes to sit.
- Workaway will help you find work opportunities in exchange for free food and accommodation.
- Learn how to stick to your budget and reach your financial goals with the Back to Budgeting Basics course.
- Allianz Travel Insurance and World Nomads are long-term international travel insurance options.
- Watch Stephanie’s Grown Up Gap Year: A to Z Series on YouTube.
Connect with Stephanie Perry
YouTube: Stephanie Perry
Learn how to get FREE accommodation when you travel by becoming a house sitter with Stephanie’s free Masterclass House Sitter School.
If you sign up with Trusted Housesitters today, you could have a free place to stay for your next vacation!