In this episode, Kyle and I share tips for planning a trip to China and our favorite highlights. We booked our ten-day China tour with UTO Vacation for $299 per person. Yes, that’s right, only $299 per person! This included round-trip airfare from New York City, 4-star hotels, an English speaking tour guide, complimentary breakfast daily, and admission to some iconic attractions like the Great Wall of China.
Want to make travel a financial priority? Grab a copy of my new book Affording Travel.
Find the best international flight deals originating from the U.S. and Canada by signing up for Thrifty Traveler Premium.
Things to Know about the China UTO Vacation Tour
Although this was an insanely cheap trip, it’s important to note that this is primarily a sight-seeing and shopping tour. There are designated local shopping stops in each city (Beijing, Shanghai, Wuxi, Suzhou and Hangzhou), and you will likely spend hours at each site. There is no obligation to buy anything.
How to Plan a Trip to China
Thing to Pack
- Bring a couple rolls of toilet paper
- Hand sanitizer
- Pepto Bismol caplets or antacid medication used to treat diarrhea, indigestion, heartburn and nausea.
- Pollution face mask
- Portable power bank for electronics
- Chinese phrase book
- Express VPN will help you bypass China’s firewall which prevents you from using Google, Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
Challenges in China
- Language barrier – most people do not speak English in China.
- Because of “the Great Firewall of China”, access to Google, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit and more are blocked.
- Be careful if you have any dietary restrictions. Always confirm what you’re eating. It’s common to find meat and eggs in your food.
Our Favorite Foods in China
- Stinky tofu
- Peking duck
- Mongolian hot pot
Our Top Experiences in China
- The Great Wall of China
- The Forbidden City
- Night cruise on the Huangpu River to see the Shanghai lights show
- Chinatown in Shanghai (great for foodies)
- West Lake in Hangzhou
- Dragon Well Tea tasting at the Longjing Green Tea village
- Shanghai maglev train
Want to hear more episodes from our adventures around the world?
- Listen to Walt Disney vs. Universal Studios
- Listen to Avatar Flight of Passage at Disney’s Animal Kingdom