Happy New Year! I can’t believe that we are already a week into the new year.
I experienced a lot this year. Many great things happened and I learned a lot of important lessons along the way.
Throughout 2018 I was bold.
I got a promotion (which I negotiated), I started this podcast (with no experience), spoke at a podcasting conference and I even found love.
In this episode I share what worked in 2018, what didn’t work and the most important lessons I learned. I also share my top goals for 2019 and why “committed” is my word for the new year.
Year End Review Resources Mentioned
What Worked in 2018
- Got a promotion at work. I’m now a Grants Manager.
- Launched The Thought Card podcast with over 500 downloads in the first month.
- Created WOC Podcasters (Women of Color) an inclusive podcasting community for learning, networking and sharing resources.
- Presented at Podcast Movement in Philadelphia, the world’s largest podcasting conference.
- Became an editorial board member of Podcast Business Journal.
- Participated in my first panel discussion in New York City with A.I.M. Unlimited.
- Went on lots of short trips in 2018 including trips to Ireland, Chicago, Oslo, Iceland, Puerto Rico, the Finger Lakes (New York), Orlando and Toronto.
- Attended FinCon and TBEX North America – Listen to Episode 8 where Yasmine and I share tips for attending FinCon for the first time.
- Got featured on lots of podcasts including Chronicles Abroad, Comfortably Excluded, WTF?! IDK Podcast and Travel Fuels Life.
- As a freelance writer, I also contributed 5 articles to Go Banking Rates, a leading personal finance banking website.
What Didn’t Work in 2018
- Overworked myself and got really sick.
- House hacking and having roommates was challenging – don’t worry, they moved out!
- I didn’t finish working on my book.
- Planned too many trips, too far in advance and had to cancel.
Lessons Learned in 2018
- Health is wealth.
- Budgeting is still very important.